Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A library without the books - The Boston Globe

Here's a new trend. Hard for me to fathom a library without books...

A library without the books - The Boston Globe:

"“It makes me sad,’’ said Vezina, who hosts a book club on campus dubbed the Off-line Readers and has made a career of introducing students to books. “I’m going to miss them. I love books. I’ve grown up with them, and there’s something lost when they’re virtual. There’s a sensual side to them - the smell, the feel, the physicality of a book is something really special.’’"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree; but it will be occurring with significant frequency, I fear – an inevitability, but just as much as the permanence of books on paper is also an inevitability. People who love books love the touch of paper and the smell of ink too much. After all – we have Mead who finally divested of LexisNexis.

So here’s something to think about for librarians: not libraries with no books, but books with no libraries: how do we turn that to our advantage?