Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Reflecting on Change

A class that I'm taking through the University of Wisconsin has really brought home the fact that our roles as teacher/librarians are constantly changing.
Goodbye to the days of working with an actual card catalog and printed material; hello to OPAC, digital databases, and Web 2.0 tools.

To keep up with our digital native students with their hypertext minds, I make as many resources as I can accessible remotely.  My website and Blackboard course are accessible from anywhere any time.  We must promote new technologies that enhance learning.  Creative and interactive tools like Glogster and Voicethread appeal to today's kids.

In these hard financial times, becoming a digital pioneer and adapting to change makes us LMS less vunerable to staff cuts. We need to shed the "Marian the Librarian" old lady stereotype and dive into the information ocean!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this! You are creative and concise!
Mary Alice Andeson'
UW-Stout

tech guy said...

Gosh, I hope Marian isn't offended.

Mark